Did you know that 93% of B2B technology marketers use content marketing to attract and retain customers, but only 34% believe they are effective. Why the big gap?
THERE IS NO PLAN!
“Technology marketers who have a documented content marketing strategy are less challenged with content marketing when compared with their peers who have a verbal-only strategy or no strategy at all.”
You have to have a plan for your content. Figure out who your audience is and what topics they would be interested in that pertain to your industry. Over time, you will find your brand personality and become a credible source for information to your audience…credibility that you could cash in on!
“For example, Mint.com, a financial services site, attracted 1.5 million users and sold for $170 million within two years. This was due in large part to its comprehensive personal finance blog. Users loved the content Mint published to complement its money management services, making the company a top industry performer.”
Also, remember to track effectiveness. What good is pushing out content if it doesn’t have a trackable effect? key marketing KPIs you should be measuring for your content marketing initiatives are:
- Unique Visits (how many people have viewed your content)
- Geography (where is your content being read?)
- Mobile readership (what device are they using to read your content?)
- Bounce rates/time spent (show you engagement of your content)
- Heat maps and click patterns (CrazyEgg-tracks where people are focusing)
- Comments (embrace conversation! And see what they are saying!)
- Social sharing (make the content easily sharable!)
All of this information will help you gain a better understanding of your audience, what they like, what they don’t like, all in hopes to sharpen your content and make it relevant to your audience.
Content Marketing is KEY to building your brand. Yes, it can be intimidating, but don’t let that intimidation prevent your company from tapping into a lead source and growth potential!